Updated: Jul 24, 2018
The upcoming addition of the massFM newsletter will introduce the CRS Corner, where updates and news related to the Community Rating System (CRS) will be discussed with each newsletter distribution.
The CRS is a program within the National Flood Insurance Program that provides discounts on flood insurance for residents and businesses within communities that go above and beyond minimum floodplain regulations. The CRS provides an incentive for communities to take on additional floodplain management actions, and advances resilience through improved enforcement and better local regulations and activities. Common CRS actions are preserving open space, enforcing the statewide building code, use of GIS data in regulatory decisions, and answering questions from the public about flood hazards. For more information about the CRS, visit www.crsresources.org.
With each future edition of the newsletter, we will highlight a different CRS activity. See the massFM newsletter for more exciting CRS news!
Did You Know?
· A property in the A or V zone has a 26% chance of flooding over the life of a 30-year mortgage
· Up to 25% of NFIP claims come from outside of the Special Flood Hazard Area
· MA has more than 63,000 NFIP policies in place
· MA NFIP policies protect more than $16 billion in insurable property
· MA NFIP policyholders have filed nearly 34,000 claims totaling $382 million in paid losses
Material provided by Shannon Jarbeau.
The Community Rating System (CRS) provides discounts on flood insurance for residents and businesses within communities that exceed minimum floodplain regulations. Background photo courtesy of: Cape Cod Cooperative Extension/Woods Hole Sea Grant.